01 June 2010

Bonjour Tours

I have arrived in Tours.

I arrived in Paris at 11h in the morning. The flight was OK. It was direct from SLC to Paris. I dat next to a man from Texas who was originally from Uzbekistan. So he had a thick Russian accent but he instited on talking the entire flight. So he did. He told me that he only speaks the scientific language so he wanted to practice his conversational English.

After we arrived at the airport we waited for 2h until the bus left for Tours. The bus ride was too long. I think I would have rather taken the train, much faster. I think I slept a lot on the bus...it was i,possible to stay awake.

Finally we arrived around 5h-5h30. So when we arrived there was a festival of wine in the geande park. So there were a lot of people there. The families would come and pick us up at the bus stop. I waited and waited and waited for my family and they never arrived. Finally the bus driver had to call them and finally we found that they were waiting at the train station...not the bu station. So they came racing over to get me. It was quite funny. They were very apologetic. They said that all the other students they'd had arrived by train. So they were not expecting that I would come by bus.

Finally we arrived at the house. It's a great little house. It's further from the town centre than I would've liked...but I guess that is what you get for living with Mormons.

I am living with Danille and Laurent Mauclair. They are very French. They don't speak English...or at least not much. It makes it pretty hard to express myself at the house. But I think it will be better for me. But I feel BAD because I can't understand everything or respond intelligently to them either.

Yesterday for lunch we spent too many euros. I spent 10 euro on an omlette. But today I spent I bought a sandwich for 3 euros. At a delicious boulangerie. It was a chicken sandwich in a pita. The baguettes here cost 0.80 euros. They are very cheap!

Yesterday we had to buy a bus pass. So we went to the place to buy them and that was interesting. Because I was a translator for another girl who didn't speak French well enough to understand the lady at the desk. It was a little hard. But we got a great souvenir now. It is a "multi-pass."

Today after class got out. Which by the way is VERY long! I thought it was going to be 4h/day. No it is more like 5-6h/day. I am very tired at the end of the day. In the morning there is written comprehension and expression. In the afternoon there is oral comprehension & expression. Then a class of our choice. I went to français juridique. Which is like French law...or something like that. We talked about some seriously hard things. So after school we went for a walk and it rained. So we found shelter under a café and drank some hot chocolate. Mine was with orange syrup...delicious.

We finally made it home tonight around 7h30. And we are tired. We ate soup and egg pancake things. They were pretty good. We eat bread and cheese everynight also. I don't know how they stay thin. At dinner we have 3-4 choices of cheese. And they eat a lot of yogurt too. Every morning and evening.

Well it is now 22h23 (10:30pm). I should get to bed.

Keep reading...

à bientot.

4 comments:

Alicia said...

I'm glad you made it over there safely. Work is busy today, right after Memorial Weekend, so be glad you are not here. Can't wait to hear more experiences from France.

Alicia

japetersen said...

To whom are you referring as "we"? Is there someone else at the Mauclaire's with you?
Auntie Judy

Bing Math said...

Have fun and be safe.

mad dog said...

It's crazy to think that you're actually all the way over there! I love hearing about France ... keep us updated!